What is a Chef’s Chef?
That’s Allen Hess. Known among locals, chefs, and celebrities in the industry as a grounded, innovative spirit with a passion for his family and the ‘Aina (“land”) he calls home. He is modernizing Hawai’i Regional cuisine but preserving its local-source, farm-to-table practices for the future.
Allen is a hands-on ambassador. Hawai’i Regional cuisine is about dining close to the land, experiencing the real Hawai’i- its seasonal tastes and textures. Sometimes it means getting out of the kitchen. He visits farms & ranches, builds friendships and immerses guests.
Food Network star Tyler Florence went on his first Boar Hunt. Top Chef Season 6 Winner Michael Voltaggio suited up for Tako (“octopus”) diving. He even invited half a dozen celebrity chefs including Aaron Sanchez and the Bromberg Brothers (Blue Ribbon Restaurants) on the precarious journey down into Waipi’o Valley. A tale documented in the Huffington Post. As one put it, “This guy is one of the best chefs I’ve ever had the privilege of knowing!”
A favorite chef, among chefs.
- Le Cordon Blue affiliate – California Culinary Academy, SF Graduate
- Louisiana with Chef John Besh
- [St. Croix, San Diego, & Los Angeles]
- Alan Wong’s Grille, Four Seasons Hualalai, Sous Chef
- Roy’s Waikoloa, Sous Chef
- Merriman’s Waimea, Head Chef
- Allen’s Table, Waimea, Chef/Owner
- Canoe House, Mauna Lani Bay Hotel & Bungalows, Chef de Cuisine
- Mai Grille by Chef Allen Hess, Waikoloa Beach Resort, Chef/Owner
If you know Big Island, you know Allen Hess. – Frolic Hawaii
A sensation among the second wave of island chefs. – San Francisco Chronicle
A collective of Hawai‘i’s most celebrated chefs and restaurants have committed to bring local ingredients to the center of the plate. – Hawaii News Now
Best Chef’s America, Accepted #BestChef 2017
James Beard Foundation Celebrity Chef’s Tour, 2014
Slow Food Conference, Torino, Italy, 2010 Hawaii Delegate
Where’s Allen Today? Stay in Touch,